Monday, October 31, 2011

Teenagers and BOOKS

I took the weekend off! Of drawing the strips, I mean. It was nice. I read Smile and Skim, and really loved both of them, especially Skim...really makes me want to draw something about teenagers. ANGST. Remember being a teenager and how EVERYTHING is SUPER meaningful and important and you think you know everything? Way more than adults? Yeah. It's kind of great when I think about it now, even though it SUCKED most of the time being in it.

So here's today's strip, it's not Halloween themed. SORRY. But it feels like freaking Christmas here with all this snow! I mean COME ON.

freddystrip_33

Oh yeah, the other thing I did this weekend was start to go through the massive amounts of books in my mom's house that have been here forever. It's a really fun project, actually. Dusty though. I found my senior yearbook, and this stupid book of quotes that I used to collect, and a book I illustrated in 1994 called "Dogs of New York" that is basically all lifted from 101 Dalmatians and Lady and the Tramp. SO COOL.

BUT I also found some gems from childhood like the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books by Betty MacDonald and illustrated by the amazing Hilary Knight (who drew Eloise). OH MY GOD I love those books. I might just read them again.
























(this is from "Hello, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle". And I just found one illustrated by Maurice Sendak? What?!)

I had planned to get rid of most of the books in the house, a lot of them are kind of dumb and will I really ever read them? But now I'm having second thoughts already. I mean, what if Chuck and I really do own a bookstore someday? HAHA more like a moldy RV full of old books that nobody wants. Maybe now every time I send someone a Freddy I'll also send them a random used paperback.

love
me

No comments:

Post a Comment