Friday, January 20, 2012

Copycat

Here's the page that I copied, from "La Fete des Méres" (Which means, I think, Mother's Day) by Amanda Vahamaki. I only have the French version, published by FRMK, which Chuck bought for me. I tried translating this page with Google translate, but it didn't work too well. (Max?)

vahamaki copy

vahamaki.original


This is one of the most beautiful comics I've ever seen, and I look at it all the time. It was fun to copy from someone who naturally draws humans in a very different, more realistic way, and I think I learned a lot. I definitely like her version better, which I think is in graphite and colored pencil..I used a brush and ink and watercolors. She is unbelievable with a pencil. Drawn and Quarterly also published part of this story in English, in a D&Q Showcase, and they published her book "The Bun Field".

And looking at this inspired the strip I did today:

freddystrip_71



1 comment:

  1. Whaa ! This is beautifull ! Your version seems softer and a bit more nostalgic...

    - close your eyes.
    - you went swimming?
    - Yeah
    - Did you swimm eyes open 'till the sunrise rock?
    - of course
    - Was the water cold?
    - So cold I've nearly lost my eyes in it. Come !

    ReplyDelete