Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jambox

freddystrip_69

Boom boxes are high on my list of favorite things to draw. I don't know why. Maybe it's because it looks like a face? I think that's probably it. Sometimes I think that's the mark of a cartoonist...seeing faces in everything.

Speaking of faces, I saw Beauty and the Beast in 3D the other night with my mom, and Belle's face changes all the time. It's weird. I remember that from when I was little though...everything is the same, every weird intonation or weird look brought back memories. Also, I'm pretty sure we saw it in the same theater as the one I saw it in in 1991. After I saw it then, I drew a picture of Chip in school the next day.

"and when we touched she didn't shudder at MY PAW"

And, do you the know the Petunia books, by Roger Duvoisin? Chuck
's mom gave me "Petunia's Christmas" for Christmas this year. Duvoisin is an amazing artist! And the stories are really really great...in this one, Petunia falls in love with a man-goose named Charles (awwww), who is getting fattened up for Christmas dinner. She rescues Charles from his owners by painting herself all crazy and scaring away the farm lady (see image). Then they imprison Charles again, and Petunia makes little Christmas wreaths and sells them until she has enough money to buy Charles. The farmers are so touched that they just set Charles free so he and Petunia can get married and dance in the barn with the cows. CUTE.










1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had no idea there was a Beauty and the Beast rerelease... I think if I saw it in theaters, I would start screaming while having nightmarish horror seizures. My memory of the "feeling" of so many things in that movie is strong, like the library and the way beer splashes up and frills on dresses.

    ReplyDelete